Getting “push email” without an Exchange server

For some people, getting their email pushed to their mobile is important. Although the emails from my home email server is not really as important as my work emails, it still is a good learning experience and its fun. :D

First, one must already have a working email server. I  am not going to discuss that here. My personal setup is a Debian unstable box with Postfix and Dovecot. I set up my imap server with Maildir and virtual users.

Next, if you use a Debian based distro, do not use “d-push” ,the Debian packaged version of Z-Push, because it is old and I ran into a lot of problems getting it to work. Just download the upstream version and you should be fine.

Unpack the downloaded file and follow the “INSTALL” file instructions.

There are 2 config.php file that we have to edit. The main one on the root of the install, we need to add the “BACKEND_PROVIDER”. Since I am using imap, I added “BackendIMAP”.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.32.10 AM




The second config.php file is under the backend/imap folder.  I change the port because I am using SSL. The options part I had to do a lot of trial and error, and some research.(5)

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.30.00 AM




Save both of this files and reload your Apache.  Before setting up your device try to login through the browser. One should get something similar to this screenshot. If not, you need to do more troubleshooting.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.59.07 AM







Going Dvorak and a new Truly Ergonomic keyboard

Its been two weeks since I made the switch. In between these days were a lot of hunt and peck typing and a momentary onset of panic when I locked myself out of my work computer. It turned out all I had to do was dock my computer. 

All in all, each day I use this keyboard the better I get at it. I also had to do a lot of practice. Gtypist is the best application for learning a new keyboard and layout. 

Paradise Coast Marathon – Naples, Florida

Host route for incoming DID



For months, my flowroute DID on my Freeswitch box has been misconfigured. I did not really care because I only use this as a backup. But, ever since I moved in the new house where the cellphone signal is atrocious , I find it necessary to have this working.

I had to call Dev at the house yesterday but the cellular call keeps dropping. When I called the flowroute DID , it gave me “you’ve dialled a non working number” . So today after much research , I found that I had to set the route settings in the flowroute site. I also had to match the port with the external profile port on my freeswitch box.