I am thinking of moving my main server to FreeBSD. My main goal is to learn the OS. I have gotten so use to Debian and It seems like it is no longer a challenge to me. At least I think with #FreeBSD, I do not have to worry so much with upgrading. Right now, since I track Debian Unstable, I have to constantly update when I am in there. Also I also have to update the kernel. All of this I know are avoidable. I could just go with Debian stable and I could just choose to use the distro kernel and not have to worry with compiling the kernel.
Anyway, I think this would be a huge undertaking. I probably would have to plan this in stages. For one, how do I migrate without significant downtime???
I ran into an issue when I upgraded my Debian unstable box to systemd. I have FreeSWITCH on this box and the systemd initiation is not working.
Dec 14 18:05:44 mail systemd: freeswitch.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 14 18:05:48 mail systemd: Failed to start freeswitch.
Dec 14 18:05:48 mail systemd: freeswitch.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 14 18:05:48 mail systemd: freeswitch.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Dec 14 18:05:48 mail systemd: freeswitch.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Dec 14 18:05:48 mail systemd: Stopped freeswitch.
Dec 14 18:05:48 mail systemd: Starting freeswitch...
Dec 14 18:05:50 mail systemd: freeswitch.service: PID file /run/freeswitch/freeswitch.pid not readable (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
After much research and trial and error, I finally found the solution. I had to change the PIDFile statement of the freeswitch.service file.
I notice that my raid array is not starting up properly after I boot a new kernel, 4.3. I figured out that I could manually assemble the array with the command below. However, I want to automate the process.
mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md127 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
The solution is making the necessary changes in mdadm.conf file so that the system can see the array following a reboot. Here is my mdadm.conf file.
# Please refer to mdadm.conf(5) for information about this file.
# by default, scan all partitions (/proc/partitions) for MD superblocks.
# alternatively, specify devices to scan, using wildcards if desired.
# auto-create devices with Debian standard permissions
CREATE owner=root group=disk mode=0660 auto=yes
# automatically tag new arrays as belonging to the local system
# instruct the monitoring daemon where to send mail alerts
On my server, I have a drive on software raid mirroring. This array stores all my data for this blog. A couple of weeks ago I got a degraded array message. When I try to reboot the server, I heard a clicking noise on one of the mirrored drive. These are the steps I did to replace the drive.
For some people, getting their email pushed to their mobile is important. Although the emails from my home email server is not really as important as my work emails, it still is a good learning experience and its fun. 😀
First, one must already have a working email server. I am not going to discuss that here. My personal setup is a Debian unstable box with Postfix and Dovecot. I set up my imap server with Maildir and virtual users.
Next, if you use a Debian based distro, do not use “d-push” ,the Debian packaged version of Z-Push, because it is old and I ran into a lot of problems getting it to work. Just download the upstream version and you should be fine.
Unpack the downloaded file and follow the “INSTALL” file instructions.
There are 2 config.php file that we have to edit. The main one on the root of the install, we need to add the “BACKEND_PROVIDER”. Since I am using imap, I added “BackendIMAP”.
The second config.php file is under the backend/imap folder. I change the port because I am using SSL. The options part I had to do a lot of trial and error, and some research.(5)
Save both of this files and reload your Apache. Before setting up your device try to login through the browser. One should get something similar to this screenshot. If not, you need to do more troubleshooting.
Its been two weeks since I made the switch. In between these days were a lot of hunt and peck typing and a momentary onset of panic when I locked myself out of my work computer. It turned out all I had to do was dock my computer.
All in all, each day I use this keyboard the better I get at it. I also had to do a lot of practice. Gtypist is the best application for learning a new keyboard and layout.
For months, my flowroute DID on my Freeswitch box has been misconfigured. I did not really care because I only use this as a backup. But, ever since I moved in the new house where the cellphone signal is atrocious , I find it necessary to have this working.
I had to call Dev at the house yesterday but the cellular call keeps dropping. When I called the flowroute DID , it gave me “you’ve dialled a non working number” . So today after much research , I found that I had to set the route settings in the flowroute site. I also had to match the port with the external profile port on my freeswitch box.