Today I was doing a lot of upgrading.
I was able to purchase a new PC to get my pFsense install into the latest and greatest 2.4.3 version. My old router PC was an old Pentium 4 and pFSense needs a 64Bit CPU. I went ahead and got an old HP 8200 SFF which has a Core I5 CPU. At least, I am future proofing a bit when 2.5 comes up. I added a quad port NIC and I think I am set for now.
I had a small hiccup with the config restore because there was no easy way for one to tell which port is em0 or em1. Can’t really tell from looking at the connections and in the console. I guess one can do trial and error and move the connections and doing a ping. The only thing is after one reboots, the system will try to find an internet connection and one can’t really proceed. I found a bug report at the pFsense site which mentions a work around for this. Essentially, one has to disable the pkg source file so that one can skip to the console main screen. Took me about a good couple of hours troubleshooting.
Lastly, after I got my internet back and while I thought making a note of all of this in WP, I got another upgrade notification. All in a days work. Fun.